Advantages of NAKIVO’s Backup Solution Against Ransomware
- Use Everywhere
With the NAKIVO solution, you can ensure ransomware protection for hybrid clouds and mixed environments of any size. Protect virtual, cloud, physical and SaaS workloads from a single interface.
- Offsite Backups
Send backups offsite, to tape or cloud storage (Amazon S3, Wasabi) for more reliable protection against ransomware. Ensure that your data is recoverable without paying ransoms and without prolonged business downtime.
- Minimize Downtime
The solution offers a variety of ransomware recovery options to resume your IT operations almost instantly after an attack. Use granular recovery, power on VMs directly from backups, restore physical machines as VMs in minutes.
- Offer Backup as a Service
Managed service providers can deliver backup as a service, protecting up to 1,000 tenants within one deployment of the solution.
How NAKIVO Ensures Ransomware Protection
Reliable Protection for All Workloads
Regular backups are vital for protecting business data from ransomware and ensuring data availability and recovery following an attack.
• Perform image-based, application-aware, incremental backups for virtual, physical, cloud, SaaS and mixed workloads.
• Create up to 4,000 recovery points per backup.
• Ensure the data consistency of applications and databases (Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, etc.)
• Instantly restore entire VMs or individual files and app objects to swiftly resume operations.
Offsite Storage for Better Security
Automatically send backup copies to a secondary repository offsite or a public cloud (Amazon S3, Wasabi). This allows you to avoid a single point of failure and simplifies the implementation of the 3-2-1 strategy. Get your business up and running as quickly as possible following a ransomware infection.
Protect backups from ransomware encryption and accidental modification with immutability. Immutable backups use the write-once-read-many (WORM) technology to store an unaltered copy of sensitive data that you can safely recover.
• Linux-based storage. Enable immutability for backups stored onsite. You can deploy a local immutable repository as a part of the hardened VA or AMI.
• Amazon S3. Enable S3 Object Lock on backups stored in Amazon S3 to make them immutable.
Store backups on a detached USB drive, NAS or tape. These devices are disconnected from the production site and deliver an additional layer of security. Air-gapped backups provide guaranteed recovery since they are less susceptible to ransomware threats.
Business Continuity with VM Replication
Create and maintain identical copies (replicas) of source VMs or EC2 instances at a remote site to ensure that your business is always available, even after a ransomware attack. When disaster strikes, simply power on the replicas (failover) and have the VMs up and running in mere minutes. Once you have restored your production systems, perform a failback of your recent workloads.
What’s the worth of a non-bootable or corrupt backup or replica when your business suffers a ransomware attack? The NAKIVO solution enables you to instantly verify backups and replicas to check data availability and make sure they are recoverable.
• Boot Verification. Automatically boot the VM from the newly-created backup or switch to the replica with the networking turned off.
• Screenshot Verification. Check the screenshot of the running OS via email or in the solution’s interface.
Advanced Data Security
Implement various protection features to ensure data integrity and safety:
• Apply encryption to specific data or entire repositories using the AES-256 encryption standard.
• Enable two-factor authentication.
• Configure role-based access controls to assign specific roles to users and grant them necessary permissions.
Automated Data Protection
With data protection on auto-pilot, you know that your data is protected and recoverable in the event of ransomware.
• Schedule routine backup/replication workflows to run at particular times in a matter of seconds.
• Use Policy-Based Data Protection to automatically add machines that match the rules.
• Use Job Chaining to execute jobs one after the other and prevent overlaps.
• Integrate third-party automation tools via HTTP APIs.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Pricing
Starting at USD 29 per workload per year
billed upfront. 24/7 Support included.
Take advantage of ransomware protection features with a perpetual or subscription license:
• App-aware and incremental backups in every edition.
• Replication, instant recovery options and security features in Pro and Pro Essentials.
• Advanced Site Recovery functionality and role-based access control in the Enterprise editions.
Perpetual licenses are charged per CPU socket, physical machine (server or workstation), Oracle database (Enterprise Edition only), and file share source data for indefinite use. Get access to 1 year of free technical support via phone, chat and email during business hours.
Subscription licenses are charged per workload (a single VM, Amazon EC2 instance, Oracle database, 1 server or 3 workstations, or 500 GB source file share data). Get 1 year of free 24/7 technical support.
For more details, see Pricing and Editions.
- Deploy anywhere. Easily install on Windows, Linux, NAS, deploy as a VA or AMI.
- Protect mixed environments. One solution for VMware, Hyper-V, Amazon EC2, Nutanix AHV VMs; windows/Linux physical servers and workstations; Microsoft 365 application data; file shares, and Oracle databases.
- Ransomware-proof backups in immutable local repositories or cloud storage.
- Air-gapped backups on tape, disconnected NAS devices and other detachable devices.
- Simple administration with automation features to avoid human mistakes.
- Security features, including encryption and access control.
White Paper: Best Practices for Ransomware Protection and Recovery
Learn the best ransomware protection and recovery practices to quickly resume your operations after a ransomware attack.Download
Infographic: Ransomware 2021: What You Should Know to Be Prepared
Discover the latest ransomware stats, attack vectors, impact on businesses, how to protect your data and much more.Download
Infographic for Ransomware protection "How to Recover from Ransomware"
Infographic. A quick overview of ransomware threats, statistics and countermeasures.Download
Ensure Data Availability Following a Ransomware Attack
Be aware of growing ransomware threats and implement a multi-layered comprehensive data protection plan
Ransomware in Numbers
of businesses were hit by ransomware in 2021
is the average length of interruption after ransomware attacks
ransomware attacks took place globally in 2021
is the average ransom paid by companies in 2021
is the average total cost of a ransomware breach in 2021
The 5 Foundations of Anti-Ransomware Protection
With NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you can implement a multi-layered framework to mitigate the impact of ransomware threats and guarantee data recoverability following a breach.
Safeguard your data using anti-malware protection, cybersecurity awareness training and a solid data protection plan with a dedicated backup and disaster recovery solution.
• Implement a backup plan based on the 3-2-1 rule.
• Create air-gapped and immutable backups in local storage, in the cloud and on detachable devices.
• Train employees to recognize phishing attacks and other social engineering tactics.
Enable proactive monitoring of your infrastructure using threat intelligence tools. Track key metrics to identify security incidents and breaches the moment they occur.
• Use dedicated tools to detect suspicious activities and ransomware attacks as quickly as possible.
• Track and analyze infrastructure performance with IT monitoring tools to identify anomalies early.
Perform the necessary mitigation activities during and after the cybersecurity incident to limit the damages and prevent data loss.
• Contain the ransomware infection to prevent spreading across your network.
• Disconnect critical production and backup systems from the network.
Apply your recovery plan as quickly as possible to minimize downtime and resume normal business operations.
• Use backups to recover data and machines as quickly as possible and resume regular operations.
• Maintain uptime and availability using replication and Site Recovery for swift failover.
• Do not pay the ransom.
Frequently Asked Questions
What harm can ransomware cause?
If a ransomware attack occurs, malicious software can encrypt all reachable data and deny access to systems. Moreover, hackers can delete that data and refuse to restore access to systems even if they receive the ransom payment on time. Ransomware attacks lead to data loss and downtime, resulting in severe financial and reputational damage. In a worst-case scenario, a ransomware attack can spell the end of an organization.
Which environments can I protect against ransomware?
With NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you can protect hybrid cloud and mixed environments:
• Virtual (VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV)
• Physical (Window and Linux)
• Cloud (Amazon EC2)
Can I automate failover with the NAKIVO solution?
Yes. The NAKIVO solution offers replication for virtual environments allowing you to create copies of your workloads at a remote site. Use the Site Recovery feature to create automated disaster recovery workflows for failover and failback in case of a ransomware attack, and perform disaster recovery testing without disrupting your production environment.
How to protect data from ransomware?
The NAKIVO ransomware backup solution provides a wide range of backup, replication, granular recovery and disaster recovery options to protect and recover data:
1. Identify the most important business data, the number of copies to keep and where to store them.
2. Create regular backups and verify them.
3. Follow the 3-2-1 backup rule and store backups locally, offsite, in the cloud or on tape.
4. Use immutable and air-gapped backups.
5. Enable data encryption and limit access to your data.
6. Create replicas of the critical VMs on another site.
7. Get ready to attack by configuring an automated failover and failback.
How does immutability protect backups from ransomware?
Immutability protects data from encryption and deletion by ransomware with the write-once-read-many (WORM) technology. Enable immutability in Amazon S3 or in a local Linux-based repository deployed as a part of NAKIVO hardened VA or AMI. Once you specify the immutability period for a backup, the data is protected from both accidental and malicious modification and can be used for ransomware recovery.
Can the NAKIVO solution improve RPO and RTO?
Yes. Restore the latest version of ransomware-free data with NAKIVO Backup & Replication from up to 4,000 recovery points per backup to meet strict RPO requirements. Use instant recovery options (like VM boot, instant granular recovery, instant P2V) and Site Recovery for disaster recovery orchestration to achieve the shortest RTOs.
Need Help?NAKIVO’s Support Team is always here to help if you encounter any issues. If you need assistance:
- Give us a call
Americas: +1 702 605 4495
Europe: +44 207 193 1230
Asia: +886 2 2656 5927
- Contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact us via the chat in the product interface
- Browse the online knowledge base, anytime and anywhere
NAKIVO ForumNAKIVO Community Forum is a valuable information resource where you can:
- Share your ideas with tech experts and fellow users
- Discuss the latest news and upcoming product releases
- Ask and answer questions about NAKIVO Backup & Replication
- Learn more about the software capabilities