Supported Microsoft Office 365 Apps and Services
OneDrive for Business
Getting Started with NAKIVO Backup & Replication
- Backup data is stored locally in a dedicated repository for Microsoft 365. The solution can use native Microsoft change tracking technology to identify changed data and run fast incremental backups after the initial full backup.
- The solution can be set to run backups automatically whenever you need, be it once a day or even every hour.
- When it’s time to recover, you can have up to 4,000 recovery points for data recovery to the original or a different location.
- Use advanced search capabilities to find whatever you need for compliance and e-discovery. Restore mailboxes, emails with attachments, teams, files and more.
Why Back Up Data with NAKIVO Backup & Replication
Fast and Flexible Backups
Create incremental backups of Microsoft Office 365 data to onsite storage. This way you can quickly and efficiently protect:
• Entire Microsoft Office 365 organizations
• Exchange Online user, group, and shared mailboxes
• OneDrive for Business user drives
• SharePoint Online sites and subsites
• Microsoft Teams
Office 365 backups are incremental after an initial full backup. For Exchange Online and Teams data, the solution relies on Microsoft’s native delta query change tracking functionality. This approach speeds up identifying changes and the backup process.
Flexible Granular Recovery
Get flexibility when it comes to recovery of lost or corrupted data: choose what you want to restore and how to restore it. Restore all or only individual items from the Office 365 backup:
• Exchange Online: mailboxes, mailbox folders, files, OneNote items, emails, attachments, calendar events, and contacts
• OneDrive for Business: folders and files
• SharePoint Online: sites, subsites, document libraries, files, folders, lists and list items
• Microsoft Teams: teams and team items such as channels, posts, files, and tabs.
With granular object recovery, you don’t have to perform a full recovery of an entire user account to recover what you need. Just choose the recovery point, browse the contents, choose the item and recover it to the original location or the location of your choice.
Accessible Offline Backups
Maintain a copy of your Office 365 data offline and on-premises. With offline backups, your data is safe from cyber security threats. In addition, with onsite backups, you gain full control over your data. If any Microsoft 365 data is lost or corrupted, you can recover what you need as soon as you need it. If an account is compromised, just choose the version you need and restore the items to the original or to a different location.
Advanced Scheduling Options
Schedule backup jobs to run automatically based on your data protection policy instead of running them ad hoc. The Calendar dashboard offers a clear overview of your backup jobs, displaying all your data protection activities, including past, current and future Microsoft Office 365 backup jobs. This allows for more informed planning of your backup activities for different workloads so you can optimize backup windows, avoid job overlaps and mitigate potential network congestion.
Compliance Searches in Backups
Get advanced search capabilities to help you find exactly what you need and quickly retrieve it from your backups. Whether you need to provide information to meet regulatory compliance requirements or to fulfill e-discovery requests, the centralized view of your backups makes it easy to locate and retrieve the necessary data in local Microsoft 365 backups. Use the search box or navigation panel and drill down into an email to read the message, view calendar events, contact items, list content, and more.
Intuitive Web Interface
Simple web interface and step-by-step wizards, making it easy to manage data protection for all your workloads, including Microsoft 365 backup and recovery processes, from a single pane of glass. Ensure effortless Office 365 backup administration without having to spend a lot of time and resources on training staff on how to use the solution. Accessible anytime and anywhere, the interface was designed with ease of use and flexibility in mind.
Customizable Data Retention
Set up flexible retention policies that give you full control of your Microsoft 365 data. With up to 4,000 recovery points that can be rotated daily, weekly, monthly or yearly, you can store your backup data for as long as you need to in the repository. With the proper retention policy, you can optimize storage space consumption while ensuring that you can go back in time to retrieve the required data.
User Access Controls
Data loss and corruption can be caused by hackers or cybercriminals as well as inexperienced users or disgruntled employees. With role-based access control (RBAC) in NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you can enhance the security of your Office 365 backups by easily managing and monitoring all the users and user groups as well as their roles. For maximum efficiency, granularly control who can access your backups, what actions your employees can perform with available data, and how the responsibilities should be distributed among IT staff.
NAKIVO Backup Solution Pricing
With the pricing model of NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you only pay for what you need.
NAKIVO Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is licensed per user at $0.80 user/month for a 3-year subscription.
You can purchase the license together with any edition of NAKIVO Backup & Replication – Pro Essentials, Enterprise Essentials, Pro, Enterprise, or Enterprise Plus. In addition, the NAKIVO Backup for Microsoft Office 365 license can be combined with any license type for other infrastructure components – perpetual or subscription.
Subscription licenses for Office 365 backup and recovery include 24/7 Support. Our support service engineers are always ready to assist you.
Download the full-featured Free Trial and see NAKIVO Backup & Replication in action:
- Get an all-in-one solution for backup, replication, granular recovery and disaster recovery.
- Deploy on a NAS device (ASUSTOR, QNAP, Western Digital, Synology, NETGEAR or FreeNAS) to create a powerful backup appliance.
- Set policy-based rules to automate the protection of virtual, physical, cloud and SaaS environments.
- Keep backup data on-premises, offsite, in the cloud or on tape.
- Automate and orchestrate disaster recovery workflows with Site Recovery to achieve better RTOs and RPOs.
- Instantly recover files, folders, VMs and application objects.
- Save on storage costs with backup size reduction features: compression, Exchange Server and SQL Server log truncation, and exclusion of swap files.
- Verify recoverability of your backups and replicas to ensure they are available whenever you need them.
- Boost backup speed by up to 2 times with network acceleration and LAN-free data transfer.
How NAKIVO Backup & Replication Helps You Resolve Data Protection Challenges
Retaining Former Employees’ Data
After deleting the Microsoft Office 365 user account of an employee who has left your organization, Microsoft only stores the data associated with that account for 30 days before deleting it. However, your organization may need to access a former employee’s data in the future for regulatory compliance purposes or to fulfill legal requests for information.
• Use Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to back up teams, mailboxes, sites and OneDrive data to ensure that you can recover your data when you need to, whatever the employee’s status.
• If an employee does leave the company for any reason, you will have a copy of their Microsoft Teams, Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online data, including emails and files, that you can access whenever you need.
• Moreover, with NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you get granular recovery, allowing you to restore teams and team items, document libraries, lists, list items, folders, files, contacts, calendar items and emails. Search and browse the backup versions and recover only the items you are looking for.
Managing Mailbox Limits
Microsoft Office 365 imposes limits on mailbox size depending on the plan. Additional shared mailboxes consume additional storage. Nevertheless, with large volumes of data, mailboxes are bound to use up all the available space eventually. This may lead employees to delete emails to free up space. This deleted data is not recoverable in Microsoft Office 365 after a limited time period. To address this problem, back up Office 365 mailboxes for long-term storage and future restoration. This serves two purposes:
1. Backups ensure that Microsoft Office 365 data is protected against accidental deletion, ransomware attacks and insider threats.
2. Users can delete emails from the user mailbox to clear space, safe in the knowledge that secure backups exist. If the need for old emails suddenly arises, employees can rapidly restore the necessary data. Office 365 email backups can be stored for as long as you need.
Retaining Data for Compliance
Businesses retain data for regulatory compliance and for potential legal proceedings. Most data protection laws focus on transparent consumer data use and financial reporting and stipulate how long data should be stored. Microsoft Office 365 addresses legal compliance with the native Litigation Hold feature, which freezes mailboxes to prevent deletion. However, if a regulatory body or court requests previously deleted data, Microsoft Office 365 offers no functionality to protect a business from penalties.
The best way to ensure compliance with laws and regulations is to back up Office 365 data with NAKIVO Backup & Replication. Store these backups onsite or offsite according to local legislation.
Ensuring Business Continuity
Accidental deletions, rogue administrators and external threats expose data to loss, theft and ransomware attacks. These unwanted risks and threats can lead to operational disruptions and reputational losses for businesses.
By backing up Microsoft Office 365 data, you build an effective disaster recovery plan and ensure business continuity. Create multiple backups stored on different devices to establish resiliency. Then, if data loss occurs, rapidly restore entire mailbox folders or individual objects directly back to the source. You can also mitigate the risk of rogue administrators by configuring role-based access control (RBAC) to limit users’ access.
Preserving Data During Migrations
Migrating from an on-premises Exchange Server setup to a hybrid or purely cloud Exchange Online deployment offers businesses greater operational efficiency. But it also poses significant data loss risks. Migrations are multistage processes in which administrators must carefully track the status of every user and mailbox. Any mistake or disruption exposes businesses to losing critical business data.
Use NAKIVO Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to establish fail-safe mechanisms during migrations. NAKIVO Backup & Replication supports backups for Exchange Online mailboxes and machines running Exchange Server. If at any point, during or after the migration, administrators learn that data has been lost in the process, they can rapidly restore the items from the backups. Once the migration has been completed, repurpose the backups to ensure regulatory compliance and protect against security threats.
Delegating Data Protection Activities
Large corporations can delegate Microsoft Office 365 backup and recovery to specific branches or business units. With the multi-tenancy functionality in NAKIVO Backup & Replication, this scenario can be implemented successfully by using the multi-tenant setup to create isolated environments (tenants) within a single software deployment.
This setup simplifies data protection management for tenants and offers centralized control and visibility for administrators. Offloading some of the routine data protection activities helps maintain flexibility and short recovery times. The role-based access controls (RBAC) feature allows administrators to assign specific roles to tenants.
Maintain Data Compliance with NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO Backup & Replication delivers backup for Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online and Microsoft Teams data to help organizations meet regulatory requirements.
for Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online and Microsoft Teams
Locally stored backups
for ultimate control over data to protect against ransomware encryption or deletion
Flexible retention policies
to avoid retention gaps and ensure that backup data is deleted after the end of the mandated retention period
to easily find and recover Microsoft 365 items to meet reporting requirements or fulfill e-discovery requests
Role-based access control (RBAC)
to apply the principle of least privilege
Two-factor authentication (2FA)
to prevent unauthorized access to data protection activities
Simple step-by-step wizards
for backup and recovery
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to back up Microsoft Office 365 applications?
Yes. Although Microsoft Office 365 offers version history and limited data retention that can protect your data from user errors, these features do not amount to backup and recovery. You need a dedicated backup solution to protect your data against accidental deletions, ransomware and other threats, and to ensure compliance with regulations.
How often can I run backups in NAKIVO Backup & Replication?
You can run Office 365 data backup jobs as often as every minute either ad hoc or automatically. You have various scheduling options to automate backups to run monthly, weekly, daily or even every few minutes. Organizations should first assess their operational requirements, define desired RTOs and RPOs, and then choose their backup frequency.
How long is backup data retained in NAKIVO Backup & Replication?
There is no limit to how long a user’s data can be retained. Each time NAKIVO Backup & Replication backs up Microsoft Office 365 OneDrives, teams, mailboxes or sites, it creates a recovery point. Each recovery point represents a different version of your data at a point in time. This gives you flexibility for granular recovery.
What counts as a user when purchasing subscription licenses for Microsoft 365 backup?
The following categories of users count as a Microsoft 365 user in NAKIVO Backup & Replication:
• One mailbox for Exchange Online
• One user OneDrive for OneDrive for Business
• A personal site or a user that has access to a SharePoint Online site with “Edit” or “Full Control” permissions
• One user with access to Microsoft Teams
However, you do not need to count the same user more than once across multiple Office 365 services, that is, the same Microsoft Teams, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business user is considered to be one Microsoft 365 user when licensing NAKIVO Backup & Replication. In addition, shared and group mailboxes do not require a license. Note that the following are not supported: resource, public folder, archive, guest mailboxes, distribution groups, and external SharePoint users.
Who owns the backed up Microsoft 365 data once you run a backup job in NAKIVO Backup & Replication?
Your Microsoft 365 data backups are stored in a local folder. This means that you have full control over your Microsoft 365 backup data stored on-premises and you are the one and only owner of Microsoft Office 365 backups that you create.
What are my responsibilities as a Microsoft Office 365 user?
Microsoft is only responsible for maintaining its physical and virtual infrastructure. As a user, you are expected to take care of Microsoft Office 365 data protection with a backup and recovery solution, respond to external and internal risks and threats and ensure long-term data retention for legal and compliance purposes.
Can I work with Teams, Exchange Online mailboxes, OneDrive user accounts and SharePoint sites during a running backup job?
Yes. As a user, you have complete access to Microsoft Teams, Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online while a Microsoft Office 365 data backup job is running. NAKIVO Backup & Replication keeps the backup process invisible to prevent any disruptions in your production environment. This allows scheduled backups to happen in the background without affecting application availability or performance.
What are the general requirements for using Backup for Microsoft Office 365?
A set of general requirements must be met to successfully use Backup for Microsoft 365 in NAKIVO Backup & Replication.
1. Install NAKIVO Backup & Replication on one of the compatible operating systems (refer to Help Center).
2. Add the Microsoft 365 account to the inventory in NAKIVO Backup & Replication.
3. Create a special local SaaS Backup Repository in NAKIVO Backup & Replication for your backups.
4. Start a backup. Once you create your first Microsoft Office 365 job, NAKIVO Backup & Replication runs an initial full backup of your Microsoft 365 data.
How many Microsoft 365 users can I protect with one instance of NAKIVO Backup & Replication?
You can protect thousands of users in a single deployment of NAKIVO Backup & Replication. You can purchase additional Microsoft 365 subscription licenses to protect more users when you scale out or up, or remove users if you scale down. Keep in mind that you can purchase a minimum of 10 licenses per order.
Can I deliver Backup for Microsoft Office 365 as a service?
Yes. Managed service providers (MSPs) can use NAKIVO Backup & Replication to deliver Backup for Microsoft 365 as a service. All the solution’s advanced data protection features are available to MSPs in the MSP Enterprise Essentials, MSP Enterprise and MSP Enterprise Plus editions. You can provide your MSP clients with backup for their Microsoft Teams, Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online data.