MSP Backup and Recovery
- Modular Architecture
The modular architecture of the NAKIVO solution makes it simple to serve customers with IT infrastructures of any size and configuration. The solution is well-suited to the protection of small businesses and large enterprises alike.
- Easily Scalable
Build and maintain a scalable MSP business with a backup and disaster recovery solution that supports up to 1,000 tenants in one deployment of the solution.
- Protection for All Infrastructures
Protect a wide range of IT infrastructures: VMware vSphere, VMware Cloud Director, Microsoft Hyper-V, Nutanix AHV, Amazon EC2, Windows/Linux servers and workstations, Oracle Database, Microsoft 365 and NAS/network shares.
- Make your backups and backup copies immutable in order to protect them from modification or deletion by ransomware. The immutability can be enabled for data stored in the cloud and a Linux-based local repository.
- Excellent 24/7 Support
You have the peace of mind that the NAKIVO support team is available 24/7 to ensure uninterrupted data protection for your clients and to help your business thrive.
Why Choose NAKIVO’s Backup Solution for MSPs
One Solution, Multi-Platform Support
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is an all-in-one backup, operational recovery, replication and disaster recovery solution for different workloads:
Multiple Backup Destinations
As a managed service provider, you can offer your clients a variety of backup targets to implement the 3-2-1 backup strategy and meet all their data protection needs, storage requirements and budgets:
• File shares (CIFS, NFS)
• Tape (physical tape libraries and Amazon VTL)
• Public clouds (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob)
• S3-compatible storage platforms
• NAS devices
• Deduplication appliances
With a range of backup destinations, your clients gain maximum protection for their workloads and you deliver successful MSP backup services.
Solid Ransomware Protection
Protect your client’s backup data from ransomware encryption, deletion and unauthorized access.
• Create air-gapped backups on tape, where your clients’ data is practically unreachable for ransomware.
Versatile Recovery Options for Any Scenario
Ensure swift recoveries in any data-loss event with a wide range of recovery options.
• Instant P2V recovery. Instantly boot a VMware VM from a physical machine backup.
• Cross-platform VM recovery. Migrate between VMware and Hyper-V environments or recover physical machines as VMs.
• Instant granular recovery. Recover files and app objects (in Microsoft SQL Server, Active Directory, Exchange Server, etc.) to the original or a custom location with just a few clicks.
Advanced Multi-Tenant Architecture
With a single deployment of the NAKIVO backup solution for MSPs, you can create and manage up to 1,000 tenants or clients from the advanced MSP Console.
• Local and remote tenants. Create local tenants and add remote tenants with standalone instances of the solution from the same MSP dashboard.
• Flexible tenant resource allocation. Allocate resources in your data protection infrastructure, including hosts, clusters, VMs, backup repositories, to tenants to meet their needs and manage their data protection activities.
• Simplify tenant administration. NAKIVO’s solution provides advanced backup scheduling and automation options.
• Self-Service Portal. Clients can be allowed to carry out their own backup and recovery activities.
Secure Connection to Remote Environments
Establish a secure connection to the remote IT infrastructures of your clients over a single port without having to establish a VPN connection with each client. Connect directly to your clients’ environments and manage their data protection activities, including performing backups/recoveries, adding or managing backup repositories, etc.
VMware Cloud Director Backup
When using VMware Cloud Director to deliver compute services to clients, MSPs need to make sure that client workloads are protected and recoverable if a data loss incident occurs. With the NAKIVO solution, you can easily back up VMware Cloud Director objects, such as vApps, individual VMs and vApp metadata to local storage, NAS, public clouds (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob) and other S3-compatible storage platforms. When needed, you can restore objects directly to the Cloud Director hierarchy.
Offload Backup and Recovery Activities
Spend less time managing your MSP backup business and more time growing it. In the Self-Service Portal, tenants can manage their own backup, replication and recovery tasks. They can also configure complex offsite and onsite disaster recovery workflows for different scenarios and run them in one click. To control tenants’ access to the solution, assign roles to tenants and customize their access permissions at broad and granular levels.
Powerful Performance Boosting Features
NAKIVO’s solution has been designed with built-in tools for higher backup speeds, shorter backup windows and maximum storage savings. These powerful performance boosting features minimize the impact of data protection activities on core business operations.
• Bandwidth throttling allows to regulate bandwidth consumption during working hours.
• Network Acceleration reduces the amount of data transferred via your network.
• LAN-Free Data Transfer helps optimize backup traffic.
• Advanced integration with deduplication appliances like Dell EMC Data Domain (DD Boost), HPE StoreOnce (Catalyst) and NEC HYDRAstor (Universal Express).
NAKIVO’s MSP Backup Solution Pricing
Charged per workload/month
Several payment options for each edition
Purchase a subscription license of the NAKIVO solution for MSP backup services. To save money, opt for annual workload commitments.
The solution comes in three editions to help you meet your clients’ data protection needs:
• MSP Enterprise: Expanded capabilities with disaster recovery orchestration and more backup destinations, including cloud and tape
• MSP Enterprise Plus: Full data protection capabilities, including Oracle Database Backup
24/7 support. All MSP editions include 24/7 support. Our highly-trained experts are always here to ensure that you can provide uninterrupted data protection service to your clients.
Ready to become a partner? Check Why Partner page
Not Sure What to Choose? Try for Free!
- Deploy in two minutes. Get the solution up and running in just two minutes.
- Install anywhere. Install on Windows/Linux, NAS and deploy as a hardened VA or AMI.
- Protect multiple environments. Get hands-on experience with data protection for VMware, Hyper-V, Nutanix AHV, Amazon EC2, Windows/Linux physical machines, network shares, Microsoft 365 and Oracle Database.
- Protect backups against ransomware. Create immutable backups in local Linux-based repositories or in private and public clouds.
- Back up to NAS, cloud or tape. Store your backup data on NAS appliances, in the cloud or on tape.
- Instantly recover VMs, files and objects. Recover items to original and custom locations with just a few clicks.
- Automate data protection. Orchestrate core data protection activities and optimize your workflow with advanced automation features.
- Save storage space. Achieve remarkable storage savings with incremental backups, global deduplication, compression and swap data exclusion.
- Increase backup speed. Use LAN-free data transfer and network acceleration to increase backup speed.
What You Get with NAKIVO’s Solution for MSPs
Simple Administration via a Web Interface
Manage all data protection activities via a centralized web interface. The intuitive web interface reduces administrative complexity, and data protection activities can be carried out anytime, anywhere. With a bird’s-eye view of your tenants, you can quickly allocate data protection resources, including hosts, clusters, VMs and backup repositories.
Increased Operational Efficiency
NAKIVO’s solution makes it easy and secure to offload data backup and recovery tasks to your clients. Assign highly customizable roles with specific permissions to tenants and decide how and who can access the Self-Service Portal. Such ease of handing over routine tasks helps streamline your MSP backup administration processes and spare time for growing your customer base.
Long-Term Archival with Tape Backups
Tape is reliable and one of the least expensive backup storage. The solution supports LTO3 and later physical tape libraries as well as the AWS Tape Gateway virtual tape library (VTL). NAKIVO’s solution also offers end-to-end tape backup and cartridge management, policy-based backup copy to tape and tape backup scheduling.
Direct Backup to Cloud
With backups easily sent to the cloud, your clients’ data is always available and accessible even in a data-loss event. The NAKIVO solution enables direct backups to Amazon S3, Azure Blob, Backblaze B2 and Wasabi cloud, where you can make backups immutable for a specified duration. You can also use other supported S3-compatible storage platforms and enable immutability for backup data. This way your clients’ backup data is ransomware-proof and cannot be deleted, modified or overwritten by anyone, not even by the root user.
Instant VM Recovery
With the NAKIVO solution for MSP backup services, your clients can benefit from near-zero RTOs facilitated by instant VM recovery. Business-critical VMs can be booted directly from compressed and deduplicated backups without having to restore the source machine first. Once the VM is operational, it can be migrated to production for permanent use. This functionality is available out of the box without any additional setup on your part.
Instant Granular Recovery
The instant granular recovery features offer your clients multiple ways of recovering deleted or corrupted files or application objects (Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange Server, Active Directory, etc.) Use the search box to find needed files and restore them to the original or a different location in seconds, regardless of whether your backup is stored locally, offsite or in the cloud. When choosing to recover files to the original location, all permissions are restored together with the files.
Site Recovery Orchestration for No Data Loss
Configure complex workflows for different disruptions and trigger them with one click when needed. Or let your clients do this in their Self-Service Portal. NAKIVO’s solution enables users to configure automated failover to the replica on another site in seconds and then failback to the production site when the problem is solved.
Make the Most of the NAKIVO Solution for MSP Backup Services
Automate Routine Tasks
Always at the forefront of backup automation, NAKIVO’s solution regularly introduces features to optimize your routine operations and reduce the likelihood of human error:
• Schedule backup tasks using the intuitive Calendar dashboard to ensure the optimal use of resources.
• Integrate third-party solutions via HTTP APIs for further automation.
Protect and Recover from Ransomware
Send backups to a local Linux-based repository, a public cloud (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob) or other S3-compatible storage platforms where they can be made immutable. Immutability protects data from changes and deletion, thereby preventing encryption of backup data by ransomware. With a backup copy at hand, you can quickly recover your data if ransomware blocks the production workloads.
• Boot VMs directly from backups for fast recovery.
• Restore physical Windows/Linux machines as VMs or migrate between Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere VMs.
Diversify Your Backup Targets
Store backups and their copies in different locations to avoid a single point of failure and ensure that your clients’ data is recoverable in any data-loss scenario:
• File shares (CIFS, NFS)
• Public clouds (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob)
• S3-compatible private or public storage platforms
• NAS devices
Offload Tasks to Tenants
Delegate data protection activities via the Self-Service Portal, where tenants can edit and update their inventory, manage backup storage, tasks, groups, local users, and user roles. Tenants do not have visibility of or access to other tenants’ activities. Use role-based access control to determine what your tenants can do in the Self-Service Portal.
Ensure Backup Recoverability
Create transactionally consistent backups and replicas of applications. Automatically verify that backups/replicas are usable for full VM and instant granular recoveries as soon as your tenants need them. The backup solution for MSPs runs a VM with networking disabled and takes a screenshot of the booted OS. Alternatively, the solution checks the availability of hypervisor tools installed on a VM.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can clients access the accounts of other tenants?
No. In a multi-tenant deployment, your tenants are completely isolated from each other. While tenants can perform a wide range of backup and recovery activities in the Self-Service Portal, they cannot access the environments and data protection activities of other tenants.
Can I check the status of my tenants?
You can get the aggregated view of your tenants in the Master Dashboard. The following information is instantly available to you:
• Tenant name
• The number of protected workloads and Microsoft 365 users.
From the Master Dashboard, you can also manage tenants, drill down into a tenant as well as search and apply filters to them.
What are the options for accessing clients’ remote resources?
If you have a VPN set up, you can use it to provide data protection services. But for a smooth experience for the clients and more customer-centric approach, NAKIVO’s solution offers Direct Connect. Use this feature to establish a secure, no-VPN connection to your clients’ resources directly via a single port. This way, you can forego the lengthy procedure of setting up a VPN connection while maintaining the security of remote access.
How do I allocate infrastructure resources to clients?
NAKIVO’s backup software for MSPs allows you to allocate data protection infrastructure resources to tenants. As a master administrator in the multi-tenant deployment of the solution, you can manage the number of workloads that can be protected, solution components installed, backup repositories and inventory items.
Can I offer replication as a service (RaaS) with NAKIVO?
Yes. You can replicate remote VMs running on client sites to the MSP data center. For client VMs running in the MSP data center, workloads can be replicated to a different server to ensure high availability and fast disaster recovery. Replication can be also performed from backups without affecting the client’s production environment.
Can I try MSP backup software from NAKIVO for free?
Yes. You can download the 15-day Free Trial of NAKIVO’s MSP data backup solution to see it in action. The trial offers all the features available in NAKIVO Backup & Replication. Download and deploy the solution in just a few minutes to see how it can help you take your MSP business to the next level.