Backup & Replication v10.8 Beta
Try the new features and get a $30 Amazon eGift Card!
Affordable | Top-Rated | Fast
What’s New in v10.8
Centralized management of all clients.
Add clients with standalone NAKIVO Backup & Replication deployments as remote tenants in your multi-tenant deployment of the solution. Manage and monitor the data protection activities of remote as well as local tenants with ease from a unified MSP dashboard.
vSphere 8 GA Support
Uninterrupted protection for the latest version.
Upgrade to the latest vSphere 8 to take advantage of VMware’s cutting-edge technologies while maintaining reliable data protection of your VMs and application data. Use NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.8BETA for backup, replication and disaster recovery of vSphere 8 VMs.
S3-Compatible Object Storage Support
Efficient backup targets for hybrid setups.
Store backups in S3-compatible object storage to save costs and improve data transfer times. Create repositories on storage platforms employing the S3 API for on-premises backups that are compatible with cloud object storage. Make recovery points immutable to protect backup data from ransomware and accidental deletions.
Direct Recovery from Tape
Faster, simpler VM recoveries.
Recover full virtual machines and EC2 instances directly to your infrastructure from backups stored on tape media. When restoring specific virtual machines, you can improve recovery times by not using a staging repository first. Supported platforms are VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Nutanix AHV, and Amazon EC2.
Improved Backup Retention
Switch to a simplified wizard for configuring job schedules and retention settings in a single step. This improvement gives you greater control and flexibility by allowing you to specify retention settings for each schedule and set expiration dates for recovery points.
Ensure that the most critical jobs run first by setting the priority level (from 1 to 5). Assign priority level 1 to jobs that should be processed first in a queue and for the solution to allocate resources as soon as they become available to higher priority jobs.
Merge the content of jobs of the same type and for the same platform into a single job. Aggregate backup, backup copy and replication jobs into a single job to keep data protection activities organized and simplify the management of critical workloads.
Perform file-level recovery more securely without the need to input VM credentials. You can install a persistent agent on VMs for guest processing, allowing the solution to communicate with the VM guest OS. This improvement streamlines data protection in enterprise environments while ensuring compliance with security policies.
How to Claim Your
$30 Amazon eGift Card
1. Download v10.8 Beta and proceed with one of the options below.
2. Send the support bundle indicating the option you chose to
firstname.lastname@example.org by December 22, 2022.
3. Share your feedback by filling out a short survey.
Option 1: MSP Console
Adding Remote Tenant to a Multi-Tenant Deployment of
NAKIVO Backup & Replication
- Log in to NAKIVO Backup & Replication installed in multi-tenant mode as a Master Admin.
- Click Create New Tenant and select New remote tenant.
- Follow the steps in the Remote tenant creation wizard.
Note: You will be asked to enter a username and password for the remote tenant. This information will be displayed in Users and Roles with the Remote tenant role.
- On the remote tenant side with NAKIVO Backup & Replication installed in single tenant mode, go to Settings > General > MSP, and click + (add) in the top right corner.
- Enter the master tenant’s hostname or IP address and the port number. Also provide the remote user credentials created on the master tenant side.
- A popup with certificate details appears. Click Apply to add the MSP. The MSP and the remote tenant are successfully connected.
- In the Master Tenant Dashboard, the remote tenant should now have a green Connected icon on the tenant card. Clicking on the remote tenant’s name allows you to drill down and monitor their instance of NAKIVO Backup & Replication.
Option 2: S3-Compatible Object Storage Support
Creating a Backup Repository in Generic S3-Compatible Storage
and Enabling Immutability
- Choose a supported vendor, for example: MinIO, Cloudian, C2 Synology, DigitalOcean, or Seagate Lyve Cloud. Create a bucket with or without enabling object lock and/or versioning.
- Specify the correct endpoint, create the access key ID and secret access key (the steps depend on your storage provider), and provide sufficient permissions.
- To add the storage to NAKIVO Backup & Replication, go to Settings > Inventory > +. The Add Inventory Item wizard opens.
- On the Platform page of the wizard, select Storage and click Next.
- On the Type page of the wizard, select Generic S3-compatible Storage and click Next.
- On the Option page of the wizard, discover the storage account and connect to it by providing the following information:
- Display name
- Service endpoint (the full HTTP/HTTPS URL to access the storage)
- Region code (optional)
- Access key ID or Username (created during storage account setup or on the App Keys page in your storage account)
- Secret access key or Password (created during storage account setup or on the App Keys page in your storage account
- The Certificate Details popup appears. Click Accept to confirm the certificate. And then click Finish when you are done. The backup repository in your S3-compatible storage has been created.
- Create a backup job with or and without enabling immutability.
- Run an incremental backup job or an incremental and then synthetic full backup job.
- Run different types of recoveries: individual file recovery to the same/different location, download file recovery, full VM recovery, etc.
Option 3: Direct Recovery from Tape
For VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V,
Nutanix AHV or physical machines
- If no tape device is discovered in NAKIVO Backup & Replication, go to Settings > Tape to add a device.
- Before adding a new tape device to NAKIVO Backup & Replication, you should deploy a Transporter or add an existing Transporter on the machine that is physically connected to the tape device. See how to select a Transporter for a tape library here.
- Add a tape library (virtual or physical) or a standalone tape drive by going to Devices and clicking Add.
- After the tape library or tape drive is successfully discovered, scan the cartridges. At least one cartridge should be empty.
- Create a VMware vSphere VM/Hyper-V VM/Nutanix AHV VM/physical machine backup job. Choose the Full with incremental backup type of repository for the job.
- Run the job to create a full recovery point.
- Run the job one more time to create an incremental recovery point.
- Create a backup copy job to tape. Choose the backup created in steps 4 to 6 as the source.
- Run the backup copy job to the tape library.
- After the backup copy job to tape is successfully completed, go to Jobs > Recover > VM recovery from backup. Alternatively, you can go to Settings > Tape to choose the backup and recovery point.
- In the recovery wizard that opens, choose one of the following views to find the backup and select the full or incremental recovery point:
- In the Jobs & Groups view, select one or more backups in the left pane and select a recovery point for each backup in the right pane.
- In the Tape view, select one or more tape backups in the left pane and select a recovery point for each backup in the right pane.
- Select the destination for recovering the VM depending on your environment:
- For VMware vSphere VM backups: Select an ESXi host within vCenter or a standalone ESXi.
- For Microsoft Hyper-V VM backups: Select a Hyper-V cluster or a standalone Hyper-V host.
- For Nutanix AHV VM backups: Select a Nutanix AHV cluster.
- For physical machine backups: Select an ESXi host within vs or a standalone ESXi.
Part 2 (Obligatory)
- In NAKIVO Backup & Replication, go to Settings > Tape.
- Click the tape library or standalone drive. You have to see 3 entities: Devices/Tapes/Backups.
- Click the Tapes entity. You will see the list of cartridges.
- Check the Capacity column and verify that cartridge capacity corresponds to real-time values, that is, total cartridge capacity in non-compressed mode/used by all backups/free space on a cartridge (total minus used).
- Click the cartridge to see the list of backups. Click the backup and verify that backup size corresponds to real-time values, that is, the total size of all recovery points.
About NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a fast, reliable and affordable solution for business data protection and ransomware recovery in virtual, physical, cloud and SaaS environments. The software offers a wide range of advanced features to increase backup performance, improve reliability and automate recovery processes, saving you time and money.
Install on Windows, Linux, or NAS; deploy as a preconfigured VMware vSphere virtual appliance or Amazon Machine Image in under 1 minute.
Apply the 3-2-1 backup strategy; use immutable repositories in local Linux-based storage or in the cloud (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob); send backups to tape.
Multiple Backup Targets
Send backups to CIFS/NFS, to local storage, offsite, to cloud (Amazon S3, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, Azure Blob) and to tape.
Instant recovery of VMs, files and application objects; cross-platform recovery; recovery of physical backups to virtual environments (P2V).
Higher Backup Speed
Incremental backup with CBT/RCT/CRT; LAN-free data transfer and network acceleration; up to 2 times better performance when installed on NAS.
Smaller Backup Size
Global backup deduplication; variable backup compression; truncation of SQL and Exchange logs.
Instant backup and replica verification with screenshots of test-recovered VMs.
One-click orchestrated failover, failback, and data center migration; non-disruptive disaster recovery testing.
Backup Appliance Based on QNAP, Synology, ASUSTOR, Western Digital or NETGEAR NAS
Hyperconverged data protection and continuous data availability for SMB data centers and ROBO edge computing
NAKIVO is a US-based corporation dedicated to delivering the ultimate backup, ransomware protection and disaster recovery solution for virtual, physical, cloud and SaaS environments. As one of the fastest-growing backup and ransomware recovery software vendors in the industry, NAKIVO boasts 26 consecutive quarters of double-digit growth, 5-star online community reviews, 98% customer satisfaction with support and a network of over 7,000 partners worldwide. Over 24,000 customers in 174 countries trust NAKIVO with protecting their data, including major companies like Coca-Cola, Honda, Siemens and Cisco.