March 28, 2018
Hyper-V Backup Walkthrough with NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO Backup & Replication was built to be fast, efficient, and convenient. You can experience all those benefits while backing up your Microsoft Hyper-V environment with our product.
This article walks you through a Hyper-V backup job to share the experience of using NAKIVO’s intuitive web interface and explain the options you have at every stage of the process.
To follow along in your own Hyper-V environment, download the completely free but full-featured trial version of NAKIVO Backup & Replication.
To get started, in the main Jobs section, click Create. From the drop-down menu, choose Microsoft Hyper-V backup job. The New Backup Job Wizard is launched.
1. Virtual Machines
In the left panel, you can see a list of your Hyper-V hosts and all the VMs on them. Simply select VMs you want to back up as part of this job, and they appear in the right panel.
Note that you can also select entire hosts. If you select an entire Hyper-V host, new VMs that are added to that host in the future are automatically included in this Hyper-V backup job; there is no need for reconfiguration.
You can make the Hyper-V backup job as big or as small as you need. You can include several hosts, or just an individual VM. As you can see in the screenshot, for the purposes of this walkthrough, two Hyper-V VMs from the Webshop_Hyper-V host have been selected.
If you select multiple Hyper-V VMs, you can prioritize them in the right panel. Simply drag and drop them to re-order the list.
Click Next to proceed.
Choose your backup storage destination by selecting a repository from the drop-down menu. You can also select different destinations for each VM by expanding the Advanced options. Click Next to proceed.
Here, you can schedule your Hyper-V backup job to repeat at specific days and times, or on a monthly or yearly basis. NAKIVO Backup & Replication is highly flexible in this regard.
For instance, you can schedule the job to run every weekday at 11:00 AM, as in the example screenshot below. For your convenience, there are options to automatically select all days, weekdays, or weekends.
You can also select Run periodically from the drop-down menu if you want the Hyper-V backup job to run on a more specific schedule. For example, you can set the job to run every 40 minutes, or every 40 days.
One of the most useful options is the job chaining feature. Using this option, you can have one job start as soon as the previous one is finished (or with a delay). Select Run after another job to use this option.
If you prefer not to have a fixed schedule, you can click the checkbox at the top and have the job run on demand.
Clicking Add another schedule, you can also add more schedules if the job requires a more complex backup routine. For example, you could have a backup job run regularly every Wednesday, but also late at night on the second Saturday of every month (perhaps maintenance is performed in your office on the Sunday morning, and you anticipate a higher risk of data loss then).
You can click Show calendar to see how the current job fits in with all other jobs scheduled, including replication jobs and jobs for other platforms. This is an especially useful feature if your environment is busy and you want to avoid overloading your production servers. NAKIVO Backup & Replication can run more than one Hyper-V backup job at once, but you generally achieve better performance if you avoid overlapping jobs.
Click Next when you are satisfied.
4. Retention Settings
In the Retention tab, you can choose the number of recovery points to keep for your Hyper-V backup and set the frequency for creation of recovery points.
Click Next to proceed.
5. Job Options
In the final stage of the Wizard, you can assign a name for your Hyper-V backup job and configure a number of additional job options:
- Application-aware mode ensures that databases and applications remain in a transactionally consistent state. This means that in your backup, Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL, and Active Directory, as well as other software like Oracle databases, reflect the latest changes. Microsoft’s VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) technology ensures that these applications do not stop running while the backups are made.
- Change tracking is what allows NAKIVO Backup & Replication to perform incremental backup. You can take advantage of Microsoft Hyper-V’s RCT (Resilient Change Tracking) for optimal performance. If, however, you are using a version of Hyper-V older than 2016, you cannot use this option, since the feature was introduced only then. In that case, you can use NAKIVO’s native change tracking technology. You can also turn off change tracking altogether and create a full backup.
- Network Acceleration can reduce the amount of data that is transferred over LAN/WAN, which means that your jobs finish faster.
- Encryption can be enabled for data security purposes. If you select this, NAKIVO Backup & Replication applies AES 256 encryption before transferring your data over the network. This is especially important for transfers over WAN.
- Screenshot verification offers an automated way to check that your backup is functional. The Hyper-V VMs are test-recovered once the backup job is complete, and a screenshot is sent in a report to your email.
In addition, you can have NAKIVO Backup & Replication erase (i.e., truncate) the Microsoft Exchange and/or SQL log files from your production server once they have been successfully copied to the backup repository, saving you space. You can also attach custom scripts to run before or after your Hyper-V backup job for more complex functionality.
Click Finish to save your settings and have the job run when scheduled. Click Finish & Run if you would rather run the job right now on demand. The Wizard takes you to your dashboard screen.
The dashboard provides a summary with a convenient interface to manage and control your Hyper-V backup job. You can introduce changes to your job settings and options directly from the dashboard.
When your Hyper-V backup job is running, you can oversee the progress from the same interface:
As you can see, running backup jobs for your Hyper-V environment with NAKIVO Backup & Replication is simple and fast, while still providing you all the flexibility you need. Download the free trial to try in your own environment.